Each year, the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) conducts a review to identify countries that deny adequate and effective protection of intellectual property (IP) rights or deny fair and equitable market access to U.S. persons who rely on IP protection. Based on this review, the U.S. Trade Representative determines which, if any, of these countries to identify as Priority Foreign Countries. USTR requests written comments that identify acts, policies, or practices that may form the basis of a country’s identification as a Priority Foreign Country or placement on the Priority Watch List or Watch List.
Click here for more.
Key dates in the public comment process:
- January 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST: Deadline for submission of written comments from the public.
- February 11, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST: Deadline for submission of written comments from foreign governments.
- February 22, 2021: Deadline for the Special 301 Subcommittee of the Trade Policy Staff Committee (Subcommittee) to pose questions on written comments.
- March 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST: Deadline for submission of commenters’ responses to questions from the Subcommittee.
- On or about April 30, 2021: USTR will publish the 2021 Special 301 Report within 30 days of the publication of the National Trade Estimate Report.